Monday, September 2, 2013

My New Home

I'm the type of person who can't pass a real estate office without stopping to look at the advertised homes and apartments. When I was younger, I would flip through newspapers searching for articles that showed floor plans (and the comics, of course). And I still remember seeing my dream house in a magazine while waiting in line at Staples to buy school supplies for 9th grade.

What does this have to do with France? Well, I just wanted to introduce a reason as to why I would post photos of my new room here in Strasbourg! Personally, I love seeing how other people live (is that creepy? It sounds creepy) so if anyone is curious as to how I'm living here:

My bed and the bulletin board with a few photos from home

Now I can watch French TV! And that armoire, so pretty!


It's a cute little room, really! My room in Tours was definitely more colorful (the walls were a plum-colored velvet material, and with the blue-and-green blankets and the yellow sheets, it made a surprisingly tasteful and very cheerful room). This room in Strasbourg is much more simple, yet I love it, especially the dark oak furniture.

Are there any differences between French and American homes?

Well, since I'm such an expert now -- I must say, not really. I mean, there are little differences, of course. For instance, the toilet is normally in a completely separate room than the shower and sink, and I don't know why.

Oh, the doors are a little strange. I struggled the first few times--both in Tours and here in Strasbourg--to open the door to the house with my keys. The trick is that you have to physically pull the door towards you while unlocking it with the key, and only then it will open. Windows, too, are sometimes quite difficult to open.

The view from my window--European Union building in sight!

So now you know how I'm living in France!

On another note, I actually had a fantastic dinner with Marlene and Raymond tonight. A little of the awkwardness has passed! I made a conscious effort to be effortlessly outgoing, and it worked: the three of us talked for an hour and a half after dinner was finished! We discussed everything from families and the differences between their previous host students (I'm their 30th host student, they've been doing this for years and years!) to reality television shows, both French and American. Dinner, by the way, was fantastic--a traditional Alsatian tarte aux onigions (flakey, buttery pastry crust filled with egg, milk, bacon, and a lot of onions)  with salad, followed by bread and cheese, and then applesauce for desert! They know me so well and they don't even know it--I absolutely love applesauce, I eat it almost every day at home. Familiar foods are another way to feel at home in a foreign land.

No comments:

Post a Comment