Saturday, October 19, 2013

Petite-France

Although I've been in Strasbourg for nearly two months now, yesterday was my first trip into the famous Petite-France quarter of the city. Honestly, I live so far from this cute little area of the city that I just hadn't gotten around to it yet, but yesterday afternoon, I was in the area and had 45 minutes to kill before meeting Malou and the other Holy Cross girls for the first of this semester's three "Spectacles," so I decided to take a stroll through Petite-France.

Tourists flock to Petite-France to see (and photograph) the beautiful half-timbered houses that line the canals and to walk along the cobble stone streets lined with flowers. Back in the Middle Ages, these buildings were mostly tanning-houses. The whole area is extremely picturesque--a little bit out of a fairy tale, really--and I can't believe it's taken me this long to actually visit it!





After finally walking through Petite-France, I met Malou, Kat, Melissa, Ariana, and Ariana's mom for the night's Spectacle (which literally translates to "show" in English). It was called "Walking the City" but I think "Walking Sociology Experiment" would've been a better title for this "show." Everyone participating was given headphones and a pre-recorded audio tape. Then the tape just started giving directions (in French, of course) and the whole group followed them.

At first the directions were pretty normal. The tape told us all to start walking down a certain street, so the whole group set off. Then, suddenly, we were told to stop. It was the funniest thing to see this group of about 40 people just freeze in the middle of walking down a cobblestone city street.

Other directions given by the headphones? They included: "Walk with your eyes closed. Just feel each step," and "Walk with your eyes on the sky.... now walk staring at your feet. Why do you think it's easier to always look down while you are walking?" and "Stop. Stand still. Locate your nearest building. Walk towards it. After you touch it, walk towards the building on the opposite side of the street. Keep zig-zagging back and forth."

Honestly, it was both freaking weird and hilarious at the same time. Can you imagine being part of this group of 40 people who are all just walking in circles by the Strasbourg cathedral for ten minutes? Because that's what happened to me last night. Also, we all had to disperse and lean against walls and pretend to be potential pick-pockets for a few minutes (the Cathedral area of Strasbourg is known to host many a pick-pocketer). Right after that command, we were given the command to walk nonchalantly.... okay.... and then, suddenly, the order "RUN!" blared through all our headphones and the 40 of us all started running through the Cathedral area, past groups of bewildered tourists and locals alike. 

It was a Sociology experiment, I'm sure of it. First, it was to see whether the people who were listening to the "show's" headphones would actually follow the commands (which we all pretty much did). And second, it was a sociology experiment to see the reactions of every single person we encountered while we were "walking the city." That was the funniest part, really: people stared, people pointed, people laughed.... And I was laughing too. I felt a little embarrassed, but since I was in a group of other people, it wasn't too bad. Kat, Melissa, and I kept exchanging looks throughout the whole Spectacle, though, saying "What the hell is this??" 

After the bizarre Spectacle, Kat, Melissa, and I went out to dinner. We found this cute little Italian place with delicious food and great wine (Moscato. It's my new favorite wine. Actually, it's my first favorite wine, since I've never actually enjoyed wine like this). Also, I'll admit to the fact that it felt really cool to just go out to dinner with friends and nonchalantly order a glass of wine, with no fuss made about age. 

Once the dinner was over, the three of us took a stroll through the city at night, and.... we ended up in Petite-France! So I actually managed to visit the cute little quarter twice yesterday. Let me tell you, I think it's even more picturesque at night, although that may be due to the fact that I love seeing the lights reflected in the water in the darkness. Unfortunately, my pictures at night didn't turn out the best (I'll just have to go back) but here are two. They really don't capture the feeling of being there, though.

 
This is actually one of the four towers that stand
near Petite-France. Originally built for defense.

Today was an absolutely gorgeous autumn day, which prompted Kat, Melissa, and I to go into Germany once more for a little shopping. Kehl is the German city right across the bridge from Strasbourg, and we've found that the prices on nearly everything are cheaper in Germany. Why buy overpriced shampoo and clothes in Strasbourg when we can get the same things in Germany for a few euro cheaper? And why not use it as an excuse to just pop into Germany for a day (and that is totally casual for me now... is this real life?).

We bought lunch from one of the outdoor vendors, and I got Sauerkraut with little pieces of ham and potato (so very German of me, hmm?). I've discovered that I really like Sauerkraut, which is strange because it's just warm pickled cabbage. In France, we call it by the prettier name choucroute, and my host mother has already made it for me twice.

While shopping in Germany, I managed to buy a sweater on sale and (finally) a pair of boots for way less than they'd cost in Strasbourg, so I was happy with my purchases! Kat was also quite pleased, as she bought a pair of absolutely adorable shoes that she's been dreaming about for the past two weeks. And to top it off, the three of us finished the successful afternoon with nutella milkshakes! I am one happy girl.

No comments:

Post a Comment